Friday, January 22, 2010

It's SpOoKtacular!!! #3

Here are the rest of the Halloween quilt photos I promised. I hope you enjoy looking at them. I had a BLAST doing this quilt. Kris always tells me to just go for it! You don't have to tell me twice! I tried to vary the backgrounds as much as possible to give the quilt more interest and to match the feel/attitude of the appliqued character in the block.


I also stitched spider webs into the blocks at random. They fit in perfectly. I realized I could just continue the background filler right up to the edges of each web. Spider webs weren't as hard as I initially thought they would be. Rather fun actually.
It was fun to sew spiders dangling from the words....

Some of the spiders turned out pretty short and stout. Their cartoony feel was appropriate for this whimsical, funky quilt.

I had a big light bulb moment when I decided to put a web inside the "O" in Halloween. It turned out better than I imagined.
After all that crazy, lively, busy quilting - a calmly quilted border and sashing was needed. The meandering blended well into the sashing and really set off the busier appliques. The big curly q's in the border added texture and complimented the polka dot border fabric.



A slightly "zoomed in" view...
I broke my own rule with the quilting on this one. I would normally never use dark thread on light fabric, esp. not black on white. The spiked curly q was the design I had already decided on in my mind. The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that black would actually look really cool on this white fabric stitched in this particular motif. By golly it worked!!!! After stitching the first one I knew I had made the right decision. They looked soooo awesome!



This smiling pumpkin had to be my favorite block. He just looks so comical. I laughed at him, when I saw him for the first time. If Dick Van Dyke was reincarnated into a pumpkin, this is what he'd look like. (I know, crazy thought, but it's the end of a long week, and 10 pm...don't expect me to be totally sane right now).





No comments: